Being Prepared

Original image copyright Dale Rogerson

Being Prepared

That story of the grasshopper and the ant haunted me. When I moved out to the forest, Thoreau-style, I was determined to BE PREPARED.

All summer I cut wood, stacking it against the walls until the whole house was surrounded by piled firewood, five feet deep, then ten feet.

By fall, the house looked like the lodge of a beaver god, surrounded by half a mile of stumps in all directions, but at least I was PREPARED.

Then, on November 5, some passing Newfoundlanders mistook it for a bonfire and set it alight.

I’ll admit, I wasn’t prepared for that.

Learn more about Bonfire Night here

15 Comments Add yours

1. neilmacdon says:

There’s always that one thing you omit to plan for, isn’t there?

Liked by 1 person

1. Yep. The best laid plans, etc. etc. 🙂

2. Sandra says:

Ah Noofies. Are you still allowed to say that these days? 🙂 It’s always good to find your stories on here.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks, Sandra. Yeah, Newfie is fine and I was going to use that but didn’t know how well-known it was. I grew up there although I haven’t been back in a long time.

3. GHLearner says:

I’m a bad person, I laughed out loud. That was so nicely told, very funny.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks, glad you liked it. If you’re a bad person for laughing, what does that make me for writing it? 😉

4. All that work ended in a blaze of glory!

Liked by 1 person

5. Dale says:

Love the new look of your blog!
    And no, I don’t imagine anyone could be prepared for that…

1. Thanks, Dale. This is another one I’m running for young writers. Thanks for the picture too. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Dale says:

You are welcome… for both!

6. Bear says:

I shouldn’t laugh… but that was funny! All that work… fried! LOL!

Liked by 1 person

1. Good! And yes, you should totally laugh. 🙂 Glad you liked it.

Liked by 1 person

7. granonine says:

Well who would have expected anyone to come along and set fire to a huge woodpile? Did they at least stay and make S’mores?

Liked by 1 person

8. Oh dear, he was so prepared, but it’s impossible to plan for every contingency. Hopefully he wasn’t inside when the fire was lit.

Liked by 1 person

9. I bet it made one hell of a bonfire. I hope he had plenty of hotdogs and marshmallows.

Liked by 1 person