Happy Monday, everyone. I’m so glad you are here and I hope your week goes as well as you hope it might.
I don’t know about you, but I listen to music whenever I write. It helps me to focus. Music can also be one of the best inspirations for writing because it has such a strong connection with emotions.
The prompt this week is not specific, but a general one:
Write a story based on a song.
There are many ways to do this, but here is one thing you can try:
- Pick a song you like or pick one at random. You can go to YouTube or Spotify or find a random song generator online like this one.
- Listen to the song and write down any words that it brings to mind. This might be ones in the lyrics or just ones that the music brings to your mind.
- Look at the words you’ve written and think of one of these three aspects of story: character, setting, or conflict (plot). Maybe one of them is listed in the words you have written.
- Once you have one (usually character or setting are easiest), think of another one and then use those two to decide on the last one. For instance, the music makes you think of a factory worker at a seaside town and the conflict you decide on is him debating whether to retire and buy a boat or keep working.
- Listen to the song while you are writing and let the music inspire you. Is it an upbeat song or a slow, sad one?
If you write a story and want to share it, you can submit it at this link or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. I might pick one to publish next Monday when the new prompt comes out.
Have a wonderful week. Smile at someone every day.